Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Day In Court...

So this is a story that I was saving for a rainy day...well today was sorta rainy and I feel that it is time that everyone gets the chance to get a chuckle at the expense of my inexperience. So here it goes: It was my 4th day at the US Attorney's Office and I was headed down the street to the Superior Court of D.C. After arriving in the building a couple fellow interns called me on my cell and asked me to do them a favor while I was in the courthouse. They needed me to pass a note to an attorney from our office that was in the middle of a trial. After getting an answer from the attorney I was to report back to the other interns. "EZ!" That's what I thought! So I entered the courtroom that they had instructed me to go to and I sat in the back row. The defense attorney was questioning a witness, so I stayed in the back. At least 10 minutes had passed, so I went out to the hallway and called the interns. I told them how I didn't feel it was a good idea to interupt with the passing of a note, but they insisted that it was okay and that they had been doing it all morning. So...I returned to the courtroom where I sat back down. Then there was a lull in the action, so I quickly slipped into the well (the area passed the little swinging doors) and passed the US Attorney a note. While waiting for a response the judge told me to have a seat...so I went back to the seating area and sat down. Then I saw the attorney circle an answer on the note, so I got up and peered at what she circled and headed for the exit. Then I hear, "Sir come back here and sit in the front row!" For those unaware...NO ONE sits in the front row at a jury trial! So...the judge dismissed the jury and then asked for me to come back into the well and state my name. After stating my name the judge proceeded to "crucify" me in front of EVERYONE in the courtroom!! He then ordered me back to "his" courtroom with my superiors later in the day. Needless to say...I was a little freaked out that I was going to get fired from an internship...lol! My bosses took it well...suprisingly! We returned to the courtroom later that day and he told us "nevermind." Talk about a true POWER TRIP! Yeah...so that was on the 4th day in Washington D.C. in a courthouse that sees hundreds upon hundereds of cases daily!! What a story and what an experience!

DC Tip#7: This is another Metro tip. As we all know...the doors on an elevator quickly re-open should you get stuck between them. As for the Metro...well...THEY DON'T! On my trip home today I tried slipping through the doors in order to avoid a 10 minute wait for the next train...but the slipping ended when I was smashed between two metal train doors. After prying them open like Superman, I walked onto the train and sat down as if nothing had happened. Depending on how long I will have to wait for future trains...I may have to use my Superman strength again. I wonder what happens when someone's hair gets stuck in those doors...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I really enjoyed tip #7

-Brandon

S said...

now that you've gone and told all of those outside the beltway how those metro doors work, i assure you that you've stolen a prime source of constant amusement from us locals! nothing improves a train ride more than newbies getting their body parts smashed in the door. (so long as there isn't any of the aforementioned off-loading of the train, that is.)

Don't Be Silent DC said...

This has nothing to do with anything, but from reading your blogs I get a nice and wholesome vibe from you. It's rare to find good people like that. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I'll add you to the dcblogs.com live feed if you would like. Nice blog.

Anonymous said...

go right ahead KOB!